It’s official, the Apple iPhone is well ahead of the curve when it comes to some of the most innovative, interactive and most popular applications with over 99.4% of the current mobile phone application downloads while only 0.6% are attributed to other platforms including Blackberry 識男仔, Palm and Android. On 22 January 2011, the App Store reported its 10 billionth app download since it first launched on 10 July 2008.
From spirit levels and compasses to the most popular online networks that keep you social, there’s an app for everything these days 聊天室. Here’s a rundown on some of the most popular Apple apps around:
• Facebook – Apple’s most popular free social networking app downloaded last year was unsurprisingly, Facebook. Last year, Facebook’s number of active users exceeded 500 million members. By integrating Facebook with the iPhone and the new option to “check-in” to venues via Facebook Places, users are using Facebook more than ever before 識男仔, with the average Australian spending 7.55 hours on the social networking platform, more than any other country in the world!
• Angry Birds – what is it about vicious and colourful looking birds knocking over wooden blocks to crush little green pigs? First launched for the iPhone in December 2009, Angry Birds has had over 50 million downloads across all platforms to date. Many fans will recognise that concentrated look and familiar finger swiping movements that can only be for catapulting a bird into the air. The app received over a million downloads for Android within the first 24 hours of its release.
• Word Lens – an app that’s been getting quite a bit of hype on tech forums has been Word Lens which lets you utilise the iPhone’s camera functionality to translate foreign languages right before your eyes! Imagine walking through the streets of Barcelona and wondering what the sign says – now you can hold up your iPhone and use the app to magically translate the sign right before your eyes!
• Lifestyle apps – companies are all jumping on board the app train with any number of brands releasing their own apps for iPhone. Most of the major banks have an app that allows customers to do mobile banking while plenty of ecommerce sites offer an integrated app for shoppers to browse their inventory.
• Fun apps – there’s an app to test your compatibility with a mate as well as spirit levels, virtual light sabres and beer glasses. There’s certainly no shortage of silly, strange and outrageous apps out there – and many of us may be inspired to try and create our own with the wide availability of app building tools out there to help. Find out what everyone’s raving about when you buy or rent an iPhone to experiment with all its capabilities. What would you make an iPhone app do?
Meanwhile, the iPad has brought an entire new dimension to the iPhone App Store. The iPad’s larger screen size and beautiful graphics have allowed developers to experiment even further with mobile applications.